Strengthening Families Washington works with local communities to increase program capacity to institute and expand the Strengthening Families Protective Factors Framework for all children.
Child Abuse Prevention Month
Each April, people across the country join together during National Child Abuse Prevention Month to raise awareness and promote ways we can strengthen families in our communities. Strengthening Families Washington is the state chapter of Prevent Child Abuse America, the nation’s leading organization working solely to prevent the abuse and neglect of our nation’s children. The pinwheel symbolizes the safe and happy childhood we want for all children. During the month of April we plant pinwheels at the capital campus in Olympia, as well as sell and distribute pinwheels to be displayed across the state. Proceeds from the pinwheel sales go to the Children's Trust. For more information or ideas, check out our toolkit.
We hope you will join us on April 6th, 2018 for Go Blue Day! We encourage everyone to wear blue to show you support for all children and their right to a safe, healthy and supported childhood. For more information, click here.
Each year, we offer funding opportunities to community organizations whose work promotes the protective factors among families and communities. Please check back in Spring 2017 for new funding opportunities.
This year’s recipients include:
- Center for Human Services, King County*
- Children's Advocacy Center of Grays Harbor, Grays Harbor*
- Lummi Youth Social Services, Whatcom County*
- Parent Trust for Washington Children, King County
- Ukrainian Community Center of Washington, King County
- Families Together for People with Disabilities, Whitman County
- American Indian Community Center, Spokane*
- First Step Family Support Center, Clallam County
- Housing Hope, Snohomish County
- South Sound Parent to Parent, Thurston County
*denotes first-year grantee.
For more information, or to participate in a Community Cafe, click here.