Alert: Beginning July 1, 2018, the Department of Early Learning will become the Department of Children, Youth, and Families (DCYF). After June 30, 2018, this website will no longer be updated. For the latest information on early learning, visit the DCYF website at

Help and Assistance For Families


Printer-friendly version

Being a parent or caregiver isn’t always easy — there are places you can go for help. In this section you’ll find resources if you have questions about your child’s development, need financial assistance for your family, or need parent coaching or support. To reach someone from DEL, see the staff contact list.

Washington Information Network 2-1-1

Dial: 2-1-1 or toll-free 1.877.211.WASH (9274).

Washington state residents can obtain information on health and human services.

Family Help Line

1.800.932.HOPE (4673)

The Family Help Line offers parent coaching and information, referrals to community services and parent support. 

Family Health Hotline


TTY: 711 (TTY relay)

Call this number for a free developmental screening if you have concerns about your child’s development.


This website will help connect you with Food Assistance, Nutrition Information and other valuable resources to help make ends meet for you and your family.

Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS)

Community Services Division: 1.800.865.7801

Local Community Services Offices provide many DSHS services including Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) and emergency programs. Your local CSO can provide you with details about these services and how to apply for them.

DSHS Trial eligibility calculator

Find out if your family is eligible for help with food, cash assistance, child care, medical benefits or long-term care.

ParentHelp 123

A program of WithinReach, ParentHelp123 helps connect Washington families to food and health resources. The site also includes a eligibility calculator for a variety of statewide resources.

Report Child/Adult Abuse

1.866.ENDHARM toll-free: (866-363-4276)

Child Care and Preschool Options

There are programs to help families with low incomes pay for child care or preschool. To learn more about child care subsidies:

To learn more about state and federally funded preschool programs:

The Office of the Education Ombudsman (OEO)

Toll free: 1.866.297.2597

The Office of the Education Ombudsman (OEO) is an agency in the Governor’s Office that promotes equity in education and the academic success of all students attending elementary and secondary public schools in Washington. Staff members provide information to students, families, and communities regarding the school system, promote family and community involvement in education, and help resolve conflict between families and schools. 


Related Information