MERIT (Managed Education and Registry Information Tool) is an online portal that helps professionals in the field of early care and education in Washington:
- Keep track of their education and training experience
- Find training opportunities by state-approved trainers
- Share their qualifications with current and future employers
- Complete a portable background check application
- Be recognized and receive awards for their professional achievements
Who should use MERIT?
MERIT is for anyone who works in early care and education, including facilities and programs such as:
- Family home child care
- Child care centers
- Early Childhood Education and Assistance Program (ECEAP)
- Head Start
- School-age child care
MERIT is also for those who support early care and education:
- Administrators, including facility directors and program supervisors
- Coaches and trainers
- K–12 educators and higher education faculty
Licensed Child Care Providers:
- Facility/Site Registration Tutorial Video
- Additional Designee: Facility/Site Access
- Confirming your Staff's Employment
- Training Reimbursement
- Updating your MERIT Training History
- Employment Confirmation for Training Reimbursement
Learn more about updating your training history in MERIT.
How do I enter my education and certificates of specialization in MERIT?
- First, go to MERIT and create an account. If you already have an account, just log in and select the "My Education" tab.
- Complete your education application. You will receive an e-mail with instructions for submitting your supporting documentation.
What do I do if my transcripts are not in English?
If your transcripts are not in English and you earned your degree outside of the United States:
- A degree evaluation must be completed.
- If you have questions about entering your education earned outside of the United States, view the Guidelines for Processing your Degrees, High School Diploma, and Education Earned Outside of the United States.
- You may choose any NACES member organization to process your degree evaluation. Price, process and turn-around time varies by organization.
We often refer people to the following two organizations:
- Foundation for International Services https://www.fis-web.com/ Contact phone number (425) 248-2255.
- International Education Consultants http://www.jsilny.com/html/faq.htm Contact phone number (305) 273-1616.
How does education verification help me?
- It makes it easy to share your qualifications with current and new employers.
- It helps you keep track of your education and early learning credentials.
- It allows the Department of Early Learning (DEL) to learn more about you so that we can create new professional development opportunities.
- It lets DEL recognize your professional achievements with a monetary incentive called an achievement award.
Can I count college credits towards my annual STARS hours?
If you earned credits from an education or early care and education (ECE) department at a college or university, you may be able to count them towards your Annual Continuing Education (STARS) hour requirements. You may enter three courses per year for each of the last three calendar years (includes the current calendar year). To submit your college credits for STARS hours, follow these steps:
- Copy your transcripts (unofficial transcripts are acceptable). The transcripts must include your name, the name of the college or university, the dates of the courses that you completed, and the credits that you earned.
- Log into your MERIT account and complete the Education Application found under the "My Education" tab.
- Submit your supporting documents to email@example.com or mail to:
Centralia College CFS
Attn: MERIT Program
600 Centralia College Blvd.
Olympia WA 98504-0970
How do I submit a training certificate with STARS hours?
If you earned STARS hours along with your certificate, your trainer will enter the information into MERIT for you. If for some reason your trainer doesn’t enter it, email a copy of your training certificate to firstname.lastname@example.org; or mail a paper copy of the certificate to:
Department of Early Learning (DEL)
PO Box 40970
Olympia WA 98504-0970
How do I assign an additional person to my facility profile in MERIT?
Follow the Facility/Site Access: Additional Designee guide for instructions.
How do I appeal a decision made by DEL about my MERIT record?
Please submit an appeal form.
Who do I contact for help?
You can contact MERIT support staff at email@example.com, or call toll free 1-866-482-4325 and choose option 5.