DEL has an approval process for state-approved trainers who work in Washington. The trainer approval process is designed to promote quality training opportunities around the state and establish a consistent process for reviewing all trainers. State-approved trainers offer trainings that meet the required continuing education and Child Care Basics training.
Become a State-approved Trainer
Our trainer approval application process is now exclusively online. To complete the application process select the My Applications tab in your MERIT profile and select State Approved Trainer Application. You will then select the trainer type to apply for; Specialist, Higher Ed, or K-12/ESD. Once you have submitted your application DEL will put you in touch with a trainer-coach to arrange a time to observe you teaching a class. For answers to questions about the trainer approval process, view the State Approved Trainers Frequently Asked Questions.
- Click here to download the one-page instructions.
- Haga clic aquí para descargar una página de instrucciones.
- Trainer Approval Checklist
- Instructions for the Core Competency Demonstration
- Trainer Observation Rubric
- Trainer Competencies in Washington State
Download the State-approved Training and Trainer Manual
This document contains instructions for trainer applicants and approved trainers plus required forms in one document.
Descargar el manual de Entrenamiento y Entrenador Aprobado por el Estado
Éste documento contiene instrucciones para solicitantes de entrenador y entrenadores aprobados, además de los formularios requeridos en un solo documento.
Download the Trainer Approval Board Manual
This document contains instructions for Trainer Approval Board members and Organization Trainer Mentors who observe and approve applicants. Includes all required forms.
Registration for K-12/ESD Educators or Higher Education Trainers
If you teach for the K-12 system, ESD or higher education, you can register as a state-approved trainer. Follow these steps to get started:
- Go to MERIT.
- Click on the "Applications" tab.
- Click on the State Approved Trainer Application.
- On the next page, choose either Higher Education Trainer or K-12/ESD Educator, and then proceed with the registration pages.
STARS Hours to Clock Hours
To apply for your STARS hours to count as Clock Hours, complete the steps outlined in the STARS to Clock Hours instructions.
All trainers must complete nine online training modules that can be found on the online training portal.
Apply for a Trainer Support Stipend
All state-approved trainers are eligible to receive a $200 stipend annually to support the cost of their own professional development, curriculum development and training delivery. To apply for the annual trainer stipend, state-approved trainers need to complete the following two-step process (see Trainer Support Guide):
1. Fill out the Trainer Stipend Application in MERIT AND
2. Fill out the Washington Statewide Payee Form to complete the process.
Become an Organization Trainer Mentor
Is your organization interested in recruiting and approving its own trainers? Download the Trainer Approval Board Manual (coming soon) to learn more. The manual includes the forms and other materials that organization trainer mentors need.
Offer STARS Training at a Conference or Special Event
If you are sponsoring a special event with trainers who are not state approved, you may be able to offer STARS credit: Simply sign into MERIT and submit a conference/special event application.
Resources for State-Approved Trainers
- Child Care Basics FAQs
- School Age Basics FAQ
- DEL Student Portal (all trainers must complete nine online training modules)
- Resource Gallery (offers links to trainer curricula, new research and training ideas)
- Online Professional Development Training Library
- Trainer Evaluation Form (used by trainees to provide feedback to trainers)
- Training Concern Form (used by trainees to notify DEL of a concern regarding a state-approved trainer or training)
- If you would like to appeal a decision that was made during your trainer approval process, please complete a MERIT Appeal Request.
- Trainer tracks and trainer basic classes: Watch for these professional development opportunities at statewide conferences and other professional development forums.